The current SE-PAC advocacy agenda includes the following areas of concern:
- Early screening for dyslexia and implementation of research-based, structured literacy instruction to benefit all students and address the needs of students with language based learning disabilities. Concern that CPS’s model for intervening with struggling readers is counter-productive for students with dyslexia.
- Quality of Services in Substantially Separate Programs including teacher certifications and high expectations for learning.
- Lack of opportunities for partial inclusion of students whose disabilities require extensive specialized instruction in a separate setting, but who would benefit from, and contribute to, the full life of the school.
- Disproportionate disciplinary rates of students with disabilities and particularly African American boys with disabilities.
- Lack of positive behavioral support programs and trauma-sensitive approaches across all schools, and traumatization of students with disabilities through the application of punitive approaches to behavior.
- Racial inequity in referral to the office of student services for behavioral concerns.
- Racial and socioeconomic equity in placement of students with disabilities.
- Universal Design and other specific inclusion initiatives that are good for students with disabilities in full inclusion placements (PBIS, Leveling Up / de-tracking, RtI)
- Inappropriate referrals to Sheltered English Immersion for immigrant students with autism and language based learning disabilities.
We want to make the system stronger – not just for our children, but to improve learning for all children
Archive of Meeting Minutes & Advocacy Updates
- 3-31-18: Letter to School Committee – Equitable Resources for Family Liaisons
- 3-15-18: SEPAC Business Meeting
- February 2018: Lessons from FCSN “Visions of Community” Conference
- October 2017 Editorial: Why We Support MCAS 2.0
- 10-17-17: Roundtable with Office of Student Services
- 6-7-17: 2017 Annual Meeting & Officer Election
- 6-18-16: Annual Meeting & Election of 2016-17 SE-PAC Officers
- 6-13-15: Annual Meeting & Election of 2015-16 SE-PAC Officers
- 5-28-14: Annual Meeting & Election of 2014-15 SE-PAC Officers
- 6-5-13: Annual Meeting & Election of 2013-14 SE-PAC Officers
- 12-11-12: Meeting with Superintendent of Schools Jeffrey Young